Thursday, May 23, 2013

"Line Upon Line"

A “Word” from the Pastor…Stephen Benton

 8-05-2012  “Line Upon Line"

I remember a particular line in the book "1997".  It said "truth does not come in one giant gulp."  It still doesn't.  The word of God itself tells us that the word is delivered to us line upon line and precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.  It was discovered to me a while back that God's word is encased in levels, much like today's computer games.  Seeing as how God's word was first I would say the computer engineers followed suit.

I am constantly surprised at the source of the last day's messages.  I always thought the end time truths would be found in obscure prophetic writings and while we have been taken to some books like Habakkuk and Zechariah, the bulk of the messages have come from the gospel books, Matthew Mark, Luke and John.  Lately it seems as if the book of John has been chosen by the Holy Ghost above the others.  Perhaps that is because John was the last apostle to see death?  I don't know.  I can only say that my appreciation and respect for that man of God has grown considerably over the years.  I don't believe we are nearly through with
I John, at least I hope not.

The message Wednesday was a case in point where the Spirit took us to another level of truth.  That message was given to me a day or two following Sunday's message.  As usual, the Spirit begins a message with just a verse or two and that's my cue to go to that passage and see what else there is to be heard.  I have to tell you, with what the Spirit gave me before church, the half had not yet been told.  It only stands to reason that if the Spirit is revealing to us the final piece of prophecy affecting the church that He would take the truth of the reason for parables to a deeper level.  One of the many expressions in the word that caught my attention was the statement of Jesus when he said:
 "I am from above, ye are from beneath."
Both locations require a reference point.  I believe the reference point is the Earth.  Jesus is from above the earth while 'they' were from beneath the Earth.  That expression brought back to mind the death and resurrection of Jesus where we are told that he first descended into the lower parts of the earth before ascending far above all heavens.  That location is Hell itself.  The kingpin of Hell is Satan so it would only be a fitting comment to refer to his seed as being from beneath.

Now Wednesday was not the first time that line of truth was revealed.  In fact, that revelation was presented to us many years ago but in a very limited rendition.  The limited version was found in the same text God gave me when He first alerted me to the fact that Sunday's message would be carried over into the Wednesday class.  This is it!

"Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word."

That statement leaves no indication of choice on their part.  They did not have the option to hear or not hear his word, they could not hear it.  That truth was given to us years ago, but not with the emphasis being on the "seed" of the hybrids.   Now, that the hybrid seed is the focal point, the Holy Ghost took the message to another level and I found myself being surprised again and again throughout the class as scripture after scripture was laid on top of the other.  God truly is a wonder and His word, being exalted above His own name never ceases to take my breath away.  We truly "have been enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come."      Hebrews 6: 4 & 5

I echo the words of Peter when he asked Jesus where should we go; he alone has the words of eternal life.  My prayer is the same as the apostles when they said, "Lord evermore give us this bread".

No comments:

Post a Comment